• I actually woke up this morning and thought to myself “what year is it?!”
• Thanks for that, Duolingo:
• Today on the marathon training schedule: speed work! I am also see ze trainer this morning. Those things will not be done back to back
• My smoothie bowl runeth over:
• In case you’re wondering what’s in there:
Unsweetened almond milk
Topped with: blackberries, raspberries, bee pollen, raw cacao nibs
Since I have been gone most of the week, I thought I would let you guys know my favourite articles/things of the past week.
- I may not read The Economist, but I do read The New Yorker and also watch The Mindy Project. So yes, I agree with this.
- RIP Elaine Stritch. When I took the Buzzfeed Quiz of “What 30 Rock Character Are You?” I got her.
- I found this to be an interesting read. I am always intrigued by articles that attempt to embed non-scientific things into a scientific formula. I have been taught (and do) come at it from a different angle, so I just find it puzzling.
- I started reading Robert Galbraith (aka J.K Rowling’s) book The Silkworm the other day. So far, so good! I hadn’t read The Cuckoo’s Calling, so this is my first experience with “him.”
Ok, now I attempt to do some yoga (but first I’m going to have one more cup of coffee, duh). I leave you with my epic ice cream cone last night. I mixed chocolate & vanilla, dipped in sprinkles. When given the opportunity, always dip your ice cream in sprinkles. Also, I had the ice cream cone in response to Jill Coleman’s recent article for Girls Gone Strong. She told me to indulge! So I indulged, with pleasure.
I have been so M.I.A all week, my apologies!
It started with a flu that made me look like a clammy Voldemort. And then the rest of the week was spent playing catch-up.
BUT! I don’t work this Saturday, so I plan on doing the following:
• Running to my heart’s content:
• Foam rolling/yoga to remedy the running:
• And then drinking all the smoothies!!
I plan to be in over the weekend, so I’ll see you awesome people soon.
You guys! I just noticed that I had more followers than I thought, whoa!
When I was learning about online writing, specifically about blogs, the main point was that your blog should have a focus, which I happen to agree with. But I couldn’t think of just one thing I wanted to talk about, I mostly just wanted a place to ramble about books, about running, about weird thoughts. Hence, this blog! I kind of fancy my little corner of the internet to be like “Creed’s Thoughts” from The Office, only slightly less alarming.
So I am pleased that people actually want to read along with me. I also noticed that I haven’t given that much personal information out on here, so I thought I would share some things with you. I don’t promise to go deep or anything, just to give you some tidbits about myself. I was also going to do like “100 things about myself,” but I can’t make any promises that I’ll get that far.
Here we go!
- I was born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and still live here. It is really cold most of the time, but there are like 3 weeks of summer (happening right now) where Edmonton is glorious. So much so that everyone seems to forget that our winters are SO brutal. For those 3 weeks, there are so many festivals and concerts, it’s like the whole city comes out of hibernation. And even though we have really long winters, I not-so-secretly love living here.
- I live in a family of five, with two older brothers.
- The big places I have travelled to Brazil, Argentina, New York, Australia, London, and Ireland. Next I really want to do base camp, Everest. Maybe in 2015?
- I graduated university with a major in Political Science, and a minor in English (but don’t just my writing skills from this blog, mmkay?)
- While in university I did National Model United Nations (NMUN), and despite you thinking I’m a nerd, it was a lot of fun (mostly because of all the partying, not so much because of the debate).
- I’ve been told I curl my lip a lot, kind of like Severus Snape.
- When I was young and driving across Alberta, I used to think that hay bails were sheep. My parents didn’t believe me when I told them I thought I needed glasses. They also failed to mention that they weren’t sheep, which begs the question: what in the world did they think was wrong with me?
- I have a lifetime ban from the Festival of Trees because I was a brat in high-school.
- I am 24 and still bite my nails (ew!)
- My favourite of Rory Gilmore’s boyfriends was Jess.
- I have a very real fear of robots and the scientific-technological age. So much so that I can’t hear Siri’s voice without freaking out, and Roomba’s cannot be on when I am in the house. In regards to the scientific-technological age, I am mostly just scared that soon we aren’t going to be able to explain how we know things. Or like, the more we learn about everything else, the less we know about ourselves. People don’t like getting in these discussions though, so I mostly just say I’m scared of robots.
- Now for some irony: my job is a Social Media Manager, so I spend all of my time on technology.
- I am obsessed with Bob Dylan.
- I started watching tennis is Grade 8 because Andy Roddick won the US Open and I thought he was really hot. Now it is my favourite sport to watch.
- My favourite comic book growing up was “Calvin and Hobbes”
- I average about 8 cups of coffee a day. It is a full-blown addiction. One time I tried to quit cold turkey and my headache was so bad I vomited. Oops.
- My favourite exercise is the deadlift.
- My dream job would be to be the culture critique for The New Yorker.
- My favourite magazine is The New Yorker.
- When I was in Australia, I tried breaking into a convent and was caught by a nun.
- I don’t really have a favourite movie, but if I had to pick, I would probably go with The Princess Bride.
- I have dislocated my left shoulder twice, both times having to go to the hospital to have it reset. The second time I dislocated by falling out of bed. No joke. Had to go to the hospital in my cupcake pyjamas, at 7PM.
- The first time I dislocated it by falling on my driveway. I ran inside the house to tell get my mom to take me to the hospital, and didn’t find out until about a year later that she just thought I sprained it and was being “really overdramatic.”
- Speaking of injuries, at my Grade 12 grad I fell down a flight of stairs leaving my house. In my dress. It actually turned out ok considering, but I hit a nerve in my foot and couldn’t feel my toes for a few months after.
- I couldn’t pronounce my “r’s” growing up and had to go to speech therapy.
- As a child, I was obsessed with The Lion King. I used to go around in public pretending to be Simba. Let’s face, I still am, and I still do.
Ok. That is it for now! Maybe I will do a Part 2 another time, but I haven’t had enough coffee yet to continue (I’m only on number 3). But tell me a bit about yourself, mostly so I feel better about telling you guys I used to be Simba and would go around biting people.
• New kicks, meet blog. Blog, new kicks:
• I am trying not to sounds like a biased Canadian, but where in the world is Tatiana Maslany’s Emmy nod? Orphan Black is where it’s at. I mean, when you can play multiple characters and make it not seem gimmicky, you should get an Emmy nod!
• That being said, woot for Game of Thrones!
• Working all day today, but I’m happy about it. Job love.
• I am spending the weekend at my parents house (air conditioning), and forgot to pack my running clothes for tomorrow. Now, I work pretty close to my apartment, so I could just grab them after work, but a part of me is all like “woops, forgot them, can’t run!” And then I remember SeaWheeze is 7 weeks away and then I’m all like “run all the kilometres!!” So ya… I’ll get them on the way home.
Have a great weekend pretty people!